Saturday, February 6, 2010

BP3_2010021_Web2.0-ToonDoo






I have been using free comic creator applications in my class for a few years now, but recently I had a student introduce me to a much more advanced comic creator site called Toon Doo.  Toon Doo is a fun and interesting way to create individualized cartoons, comics and books.   This site has so much to offer www.Toondoo.com.   This site is simple to follow and required minimal set up.  While in this site you will find a plethora of options and information to help you along the way.  The site offers a blog, discussion forum, a help wiki, and contests.  You also have the ability to follow others and have others follow the cartoons you are creating.  Students can use any of the many characters, scenes, items, sports, and equipment within their cartoon.  They can also create their own customized characters to look just like anyone they want.

I use this site during my stress management unit.  Students spend time learning about stressors and the impacts that stress can have on their well-being.   They also practice a variety of stress management techniques in class.  For the unit assessment, students create comics or a cartoon that demonstrate a stressful situation and how someone can use techniques to manage this stress in their life.  It is a fun way for them to apply what they have learned to a real life situation they have created in the dialogue of a cartoon or comic.   I would love for students to eventually invite their peers to their cartoon for feedback.

You could also use this site to create your own cartoons or comics for directions, instructional information, or rubrics.  Cartoons add a little spice to your lesson and create a fun learning environment for your students.   After introducing this lesson I see students with comics they have created for fun, in their folders.  I love to see them using these applications in their everyday life.

The only downfall I have come across with this site is that you may run into cartoons that are not appropriate for all age levels.  Within the character options there are a couple female characters whose attire is questionable for all audiences.  So it is important that you do some research on your own before using this program in your class to make sure you are aware of what the site is exposing your students too.  I consider these minimal downfalls compared to the options this site offers.

There are a variety of free comic creators out there, but I do not feel any compare to the options available in Toon Doos.  If you are interested in adding comic creations to your class check out these additional free applications to see what works best for you.


2 comments:

  1. Jodi,

    Excellent Post, besides revealing it is certainly refreshing. After I’ve read this article I’m thinking to incorporate toondoo.com for my business project with children, a program where they are taught their preliminary entrepreneurial ideas.

    Another site you mention in your article is stripcreator.com; with this I reaffirm my idea that incorporating this kind of tool to the process with children, but even with adults.

    I will follow your post, thank you for submitting such interesting information,

    Carlos

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stress assignment is awesome. What a great way for students to look at stress, it's affects, ways to deal with it and the importance of laughter in life. I love that you included the necessity for investigating appropriateness. Also, sharing the extra sites is great!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog